Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

These are days to remember

School started in our little town yesterday.  I was leaving the dentist's office as the high school across the street let out for the day.  As the students poured out of the school it took me back.  It's been 17 years since  I started high school.  17 years since I met my husband.  Where did the time go?

As I look back across the years, I realize that things are both simpler and more difficult now.  With age comes wisdom, for sure, but with age also come complications and responsibilities.  I look at my little dude, who turns 3 in December, and I am in awe of how much of life he has ahead of him.  I try to imagine him as he starts on his way, walking into school for the first time.  I try to imagine him as a teenager - what will he look like?  What will he sound like?  Who will he be?

Fall is my favorite time of the year.  I love the crisp feeling in the air, the smell of logs burning in fireplaces, the sound of a whistle on a football field..  For me, it's a feeling of renewal, the start of the school year, and of new things to come.

Little dude's still a few years away from school, but seeing the kids in our neighborhood waiting for the bus reminds me that it's not as far off as I think.  For now I'll try to enjoy the time we have together, muster as much patience for the rough times, and remember that it'll be over in the blink of an eye.  These are definitely days to remember.