Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

That wasn't so bad

Life with a toddler feels like a daily battle of wits.  It makes me think of the battle of wits in "The Princess Bride".  Mostly because every time he wins I feel like screaming "inconceivable"!

My mom once advised me to pick my battles.  She cautioned that if I stood my ground on every issue and never let him win it would be counterproductive.  Better to let him have a few smaller issues, thereby building his confidence (not like that's really an issue around here) and to keep him from fighting with me over everything.  Pretty sage advice, eh?  Easier said than done.

Yetserday we had a battle over taking shoes and socks off.  It was down to me and it was down to him.  He'll be 3 in December, and I figure it's past time for him to start learning how to take his shoes and socks off himself.  He was having none of it.  "No Momma you do it" was the common refrain during our exchange.  Finally, remembering my mom's advice, I decided to let him win and I took his socks and shoes off for him.  His response?  "That wasn't so bad Momma".  Out of the mouths of babes.