Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Three things for Thursday - the burnout edition

So, we're moving.  Again.  Soon.  When, you ask?  Well...I don't know.  See, that's the thing about military moves.  Sometimes they're quick and unexpected.  Other times they're expected, planned, and executed perfectly.  Most often though they're chaotic and uncertain.  Even when you know your exact move date, you're never ready.  For us, this move is proving to be the most complicated so far.  There are varying ideas about when we should depart, and none of the interested parties can come to an agreement.  There's the added complication of a shortage of federal funds for military moves (we can thank Congress for refusing to pass a Defense budget - that's right, it's March and the fiscal year started in October).  As of this moment, all I know is that we're moving.  


After living in a rental for the last three years, I am beyond excited as the prospect of becoming a homeowner again.  I have been scouring the real estate listings in our new/old city.  Since we're lived there before (for the three years before we moved to Nevada) this house hunt will prove to be a little easier since we're familiar with the area, and know where we want to live.  That doesn't mean I haven't made myself cross eyed looking a listing after listing, trying to figure out floor plans and deciding whether it's a house we could call a home.  So I'm a little burned out.  I close my eyes and see pictures of the interiors of other people's houses.  I dream about what kind of an offer we'll make, and how the closing will go.  Yeah, I'm only a little obsessed.  Needless to say, this hasn't left a lot of time for me to look at anything else online this week.  So here's my list of three things - three things I have discovered this week in lieu of three things I'm loving:


1. My child really wants to go to preschool.  Pilot Pete and I were discussing taking a trip to go house hunting.  A little voice from the back seat of the car piped in with "Of course we need to go there.  Because we need to find me a school because I'm ready to go to school.  I need to do some learning."  Well, okay then.


2. I really hate Walmart.  I know that a lot of people feel the same way.  I know others (like my mom) love it.  After living in a very small town for three years with no other alternative but Walmart, I can safely say that I will not be frequenting Walmart when we move.  There are so many things to say about this, but I think I'll just leave it at that.  You get the picture.


3. I really wish that people who work in drive thrus would not hand me my coin change on top of a dollar bill or a receipt.  I just lost 31 cents tonight because someone thought it was a good idea to put the money on top of the receipt and hand it to me like that (of course the change fell).  I know I could've opened my door to pick it up off the pavement where it dropped, but it was dark and cold and I was annoyed.  I know I could have made the girl open the register and get the change she just dropped, but there were other people in line behind me, and it was only 31 cents.  All I ask is this: hand me the coins, then the bills or the receipt.  That's all.  I know working the drive thru is a thankless job, but come on, help a tired lady with a cranky three year old out.