Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Three things for Thursday

I may have mentioned that we've moving soon.  I may also have mentioned that we have no idea when.  Yes, that's right, still no clue.  Sometime in the next few months.  That's about all I know.  Well, that's not exactly true.  I know a bit more, but it's a long, complicated story fraught with complications built on top of dueling personalities and ideas.  Enough said.


Anyway, in the spirit of my new and nearly full time pastime, online house hunting, here are the three things that for me are essential when searching for a new home from 2700 miles away:


1. Zillow.  I'm just going to go ahead and assume that everyone in America has visited this website, and if you haven't, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?  If you're like me, and you love yourself a good episode of "House Hunters" (maybe even a bad one, you know, where the buyers are REALLY annoying), then Zillow was made for you.  On this website, I get to be a legitimate stalker without feeling creepy.  Market statistics, purchase history, square footage and number of rooms, what more could a girl ask for?  The listing my realtor send me are great, but I seem to always check Zillow after for just a few more facts.


2. Google Maps street view.  What did the world do before Google?  I love their maps for one simple reason - street view!  There's no better way for me to check out a neighborhood than through Google Maps.  Sadly, not every map of every neighborhood has it, but for my purposes, most do.  Even though I know the city we're moving to, it definitely helps to get a 360° view of the area.


3. Ikea.  For help in picturing all the things I'll need to round out our new home, I can't wait to have an Ikea within driving distance again.  I mean, it will be a 3.5 hour drive, but still.