Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Three things for Thursday - the swimwear edition

It's that time of year again...the dreaded season where we all dust off last year's swimwear and hope to God it still fits.  You would think that after nearly 10 years of wearing tight Lycra outfits for figure skating, wearing a bathing suit would be no sweat for someone like me.  Not so fast.  Even then, when I was strapping on a tiny little leotard and tights on a daily basis to wear to the rink, I still hated swimwear.  Something about the fact that I feel like I'm wearing a fancier version of underwear.  I don't even like to look at myself in underwear - why would anyone else want to see that?


When I was a little girl my mother insisted on one piece swimsuits.  There was no negotiating.  She'd find me a sporty Speedo or Jantzen one piece at TJMaxx and that would be it.  End of story.  I bought my first two piece in high school, when I had a part time job and a little money.  I can't remember the brand, but it was black and the bottoms were boy shorts.  Even then I was overly self conscious about my hips and thighs.  Now that I'm over 30 and a mom, there is no way in the world that I would wear anything but boy shorts, and certainly never a bikini (unless I looked like this, or this, or this.  In any of these cases, I'd probably just live in a bikini.).


So here are my three things this Thursday - three one piece swim suits I consider highly mom friendly.  Longer legs to cover any trouble spots, full coverage to hide any jiggle, and ruching to slim and shape.