Blazing through Navy life one duty station at a time.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

We're listening to...

Holiday music, and lots of it!  I have never really been a huge fan of holiday music, probably because what I remember from my childhood was the old and boring music playing on the radio on Christmas Eve.  But this year is different, and I find myself in the mood for some great holiday music.  Luckily for me, over the years the quality of holiday music has vastly improved, and it seems like nearly every big name in the music industry releases at least one holiday album during their career.  Thanks to iTunes, I can get my hands on pretty much any kind of holiday music I could imagine. 

Here's a list of my favorites:

4. Christmas Songs, Diana Krall:
      Boy do I love her voice!  iTunes calls this album smoky, sophisticated, and slightly melancholy.
      She's backed by a top-notch orchestra, and there's something about a jazzy twist on the old standards.

3. December, Chris Botti:
      There's just something about a solo trumpet.  I have a few of his other albums, but this is definitely my
      new favorite.  It's a thoughtful collection, suited for a low key evening by the fire.

2. What a Night! - A Christmas Album, Harry Connick, Jr.:
       One of my all time favorites, Harry Connick, Jr. does not disappoint.  This is the third of his Christmas
       albums, and many consider it his best.  His music always makes me smile.  I love his New Orleans
       influence mixed with a Big Band Orchestra.

1. A Christmas Together, John Denver and the Muppets:
       My top pick every year for the best holiday music around.  I don't care who you are, listening to the
       Muppets sing the classics will put a smile on your face.  There are a few special moments on this album
       with the late, great John Denver, moments that bring a tear to my eye.  But the last track, We Wish You
       a Merry Christmas, makes me laugh out loud when the Muppets squabble over whether it's "piggy
       pudding" or "figgy pudding".  It's just not Christmas without this album.



How about you?  What's your favorite holiday music?